The Can of Worms Opens (Cousins Part 2)
Let's fast forward to 1991, my senior year in high school. Older and at least a little wiser I learned a lot about my best friend Michelle and started feeling bad about how I treated Brian. I've always been one of those people who feels compelled to make amends, so around Christmas I called him. After wishing him a happy holiday I went on to say that in hind sight some things had come to light (mostly that Michelle was nuts) and I felt I owed him an apology. We had a very nice conversation, filled each other in on our lives and never mentioned any of the rest of the crew.
This of course couldn't be the end of the story, it opened up a lot of doors that really should have stayed shut. Michelle was mad that I didn't tell Brian she'd lost a lot of weight and gotten engaged, not that it was true. She didn't speak to me for a while over that one. Then one day I got this really weird call. There was a guy on the other end of the line asking for "Lis". I supposed it was me and the voice ended up belonging to Steve. Remember I said we all thought he was hot but didn't know why? Steve had a weird lisp, looked like you could snap him over a knee, couldn't hear well and had shoulder length scraggly blond hair that was rapidly retreating from his head. Oooh, you want him don't you? At 17 he was now just creepy and happened to be the first in a long line of weird Steves.
He was upset that I didn't call to wish him a merry Christmas. I pointed out that last I heard he lived over a pool hall and didn't have a phone. The logic of this statement did little to ease the pain. We talked a bit, and in an effort to placate the raging red-head (Michelle) I told him the things she wanted me to tell Brian. Then he asked for her number. What can I say? I have an evil streak.
They dated for a while and he ended up being her first...a thought that still leaves me vaguely nauseated. I did eventually get a call from Wen as well, not much to say to each other than take care.
This of course couldn't be the end of the story, it opened up a lot of doors that really should have stayed shut. Michelle was mad that I didn't tell Brian she'd lost a lot of weight and gotten engaged, not that it was true. She didn't speak to me for a while over that one. Then one day I got this really weird call. There was a guy on the other end of the line asking for "Lis". I supposed it was me and the voice ended up belonging to Steve. Remember I said we all thought he was hot but didn't know why? Steve had a weird lisp, looked like you could snap him over a knee, couldn't hear well and had shoulder length scraggly blond hair that was rapidly retreating from his head. Oooh, you want him don't you? At 17 he was now just creepy and happened to be the first in a long line of weird Steves.
He was upset that I didn't call to wish him a merry Christmas. I pointed out that last I heard he lived over a pool hall and didn't have a phone. The logic of this statement did little to ease the pain. We talked a bit, and in an effort to placate the raging red-head (Michelle) I told him the things she wanted me to tell Brian. Then he asked for her number. What can I say? I have an evil streak.
They dated for a while and he ended up being her first...a thought that still leaves me vaguely nauseated. I did eventually get a call from Wen as well, not much to say to each other than take care.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home