Yet Another Dull Dave
In 1998 I started to explore internet dating. I was busy and the hobbies I enjoyed didn't really branch out into meeting new people, so this seemed a logical step. Soon I was talking to Dave, a medical technician that performed hearing tests. Dave and I decided to meet for dinner. I chose Houlihan's because I knew the bartender and I could count on Chris to save me if Dave turned out to be weird. No worries there: Have you ever been so bored it was physically painful? Not only was Dave boring, the few topics of interest he had were completely opposite of mine and when challenged he didn't even defend his opinions, just agreed with mine. I don't mind when people disagree with me, but for heaven's sake if you have an opinion have a reason!
He was reading a book about how the Indians really brought all the bad things that the army and settlers did to them on themselves. He felt it made a good case. I asked how on earth they brought germ infested blankets and relocation on themselves...there is a line of logic he could have used here, but instead it was, "Yeah, I guess you're right."
Then he asked if I liked philosophy. I love philosophy, I have favorite philosophers. I am a philosophy geek. There is only one philosopher that, if he were alive today, I would seek out and shake until his head popped off. Guess who Dave thought was the best thing since sliced bread? Yup. Okay, tell me why you like him...anything, anything at all...no luck. I won't go into my rant about why David Hume was a useless lump of carbon who contributed nothing to the world, but when Dave couldn't tell me why he respected the man I did fill him in on my little issue. His reaction? Gee, your right. Grow a spine!
Okay, now we are eating dinner and I'm telling some story to pass the time. Dave then tells me this one (paraphrased of course):
Yeah, we were down on South Street just walking around and one of our friends was slow and we went home and just left him there. He had to walk home.
I don't think that even qualifies as an anecdote, maybe a statement, but definitely not a story and the whole evening was like this. About the time I was considering stabbing myself in the thigh with my fork we finished eating. The waitress asked if we'd like dessert and he said YES! I popped out of my seat saying "look at the time! I promised a friend I'd check on her puppy while she was away!" Thanked him for dinner, left some cash for my meal and made a break for the door babbling about this fictitious rottweiler puppy that was just sooo cute.
After this one a friend gave me her old pager so I could pretend to be needed elsewhere. Add "no good Daves" to the pile of generalizations.
He was reading a book about how the Indians really brought all the bad things that the army and settlers did to them on themselves. He felt it made a good case. I asked how on earth they brought germ infested blankets and relocation on themselves...there is a line of logic he could have used here, but instead it was, "Yeah, I guess you're right."
Then he asked if I liked philosophy. I love philosophy, I have favorite philosophers. I am a philosophy geek. There is only one philosopher that, if he were alive today, I would seek out and shake until his head popped off. Guess who Dave thought was the best thing since sliced bread? Yup. Okay, tell me why you like him...anything, anything at all...no luck. I won't go into my rant about why David Hume was a useless lump of carbon who contributed nothing to the world, but when Dave couldn't tell me why he respected the man I did fill him in on my little issue. His reaction? Gee, your right. Grow a spine!
Okay, now we are eating dinner and I'm telling some story to pass the time. Dave then tells me this one (paraphrased of course):
Yeah, we were down on South Street just walking around and one of our friends was slow and we went home and just left him there. He had to walk home.
I don't think that even qualifies as an anecdote, maybe a statement, but definitely not a story and the whole evening was like this. About the time I was considering stabbing myself in the thigh with my fork we finished eating. The waitress asked if we'd like dessert and he said YES! I popped out of my seat saying "look at the time! I promised a friend I'd check on her puppy while she was away!" Thanked him for dinner, left some cash for my meal and made a break for the door babbling about this fictitious rottweiler puppy that was just sooo cute.
After this one a friend gave me her old pager so I could pretend to be needed elsewhere. Add "no good Daves" to the pile of generalizations.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home