Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Short and Missing the Point

Another tale from college. First a little background:

In 1995 I had been dating C. for a year or so and we were very happy. While I was home on Christmas break a friend from high school and I got together and headed into the city to see our friend Sean. It was his roommate Tom's birthday and it was our job to add bodies to the celebration. We'd never met his roommates.

We get there and we are 2 of 3 guests, the other being Dave who quickly got into a row with my friend (and ride). I was hip deep in design classes at the time so when I spied 2 of the roommates working in a Quark program at the computer I was drawn like a moth to a flame. I spent most of the evening back seat designing. Birthday boy Tom sat on the couch and watched the credits of a movie. I think he may have said hi, I'm not sure. After an initial attempt to make conversation I gave up and went back to the computer.

So Sean's looking lost, my ride is screaming at another party goer, Tom is staring off into oblivion and I'm watching guys design Magic cards. Whoo hoo. Eventually the fight got to mammoth proportions and my friend decided to leave. Now Tom speaks! I can stay, he'll take me home. Um...no, don't know you. So we flee.

The next day Sean calls to see how I am and say Tom wants my number. Here I will confess to being naive. Sean and I were very close, he knew I was with C. and very happily so. I assumed he told Tom, so I said sure thinking the guy just wanted to make friends.

Tom called later and after we talked for a bit invited me to a movie. Fine by me. Then Sean calls and tells me that no, he hadn't told Tom about C. Okay, call Tom back and explain that I am involved with someone. No problem, movie is still on.

So Tom picks me up in a Chrystler Le Baron (big, honking car). Tom is a bit shorter than me with waist long hair. As he gets in the car I hear the power seat winching him closer to the pedals. I was good and did not giggle.

At the theater I squeezed in front of him to buy my own ticket (C.'s words from before we were dating always ring in my head before dates now, "If a guy buys you a cheeseburger he's going to expect a cheeseburger's worth of sex in return") and we watched Congo, quite possibly the worst movie I've seen.

After the show he took me home and I invited him in for a glass of water, gave him a hug and sent him on his way.

The next morning a very tired Sean calls to tell me we have a problem. Tom called him at 3 AM to talk about how great I was and quiz him on what it means when I blink a lot ("It means her contacts are drying out"). It seems that when I told Tom I had a boyfriend he heard, "I have a boyfriend but I'm willing to mess around." Not my style. So there was another conversation with Tom about my being unavailable but willing to be friends, but that wasn't what he wanted.

Sean was just happy he didn't call him after midnight to discuss the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home