A Tale of Two Matts
As promised, my one date worthy of re-telling from eharmony...
Because I live to complicate things I had been talking to two guys named Matt-Matt L. and Matt S. This is the story of Matt S. I only mention Matt L. because it made for a nifty title.
Matt S. looked good on paper (don't they all?): Big guy, shaved head, quirky sense of humor, likes animals and worked in IT. We shot some e-mails back and forth and progressed to talking on the phone. One nice thing about the eharmony guys was that they tended not to e-mail pictures of their privates or bring up sex on the first phone call...C-L-A-S-S-Y!
So, he was nice to talk to and we seemed to have lots to talk about. My super power of once again making people soooo comfortable they can tell me anything kicked in again. Matt had a nonverbal learning disability. My research says it's a little like asperger's syndrome, in that they don't pick up on nonverbal cues and, in Matt's case, if you startle them it turns right from fright to anger. So no sneaking up and yelling boo. Matt had also recently lost his IT job and was now working at the family business. Again, not a biggie, but also not a surprise.
We made a date for dinner at a little Irish pub. Of course it was raining that day, so much for doing my hair (not that it ever really does much). As I pulled into the lot I saw the tall, bald man standing by the front door. Yup, that was Matt. Looked just like his picture. He gave me a hug as we walked in and sat down for a nice dinner.
He was telling me that he'd worked in law enforcement before and wanted to get back to it, preferably something like being a parole officer. He liked the idea of rehabilitation. I made the mistake of asking what he'd done before...and he said he didn't want to talk about it. This did not bode well. But soon enough my other super power kicked in and he revealed he had worked as a forest ranger. Of course I asked where...he didn't want to talk about it. What happened? He didn't want to talk about it...but did.
This is when I learned he had one of those qualities I can't stand: The "It's not my fault" syndrome. Once, twice, yeah I'll believe it, but all the time? Nobody is that oppressed. So of course his being fired was political...couldn't have anything to do with his attitude or throwing things at his boss. Same basic scenario for why he wasn't in IT anymore. And then there was yelling at the judge in traffic court. Suddenly I'm thinking "Please don't startle, you'll put me through a wall!"
At one point we got talking about cars and I mentioned my odd fear of going over a bridge and not being able to get out of my car, so I don't have electric doors or windows. He laughed and the conversation went on. He'd had a beer and mentioned he should stop because he couldn't afford to get anymore points on his license. Oh that's a winning comment. We talked about how he wanted 2 kittens and how a friend of mine had two beautiful ones she was looking for a home for. I said I'd send him pictures.
Once dessert was through he walked me to my car and we stood there talking for a bit, then suddenly he thundered, "Open it!" Okay, I admit it, I panicked. I hurriedly unlocked my door wondering what the hell was going on. He wanted to open the door for me, to be a gentleman. Okay, any guys reading this? NEVER do that! I was ready to claw his eyes out, and whatever else I could make contact with. He then hugged me OVER the car door. Like I said, dude was big.
I headed home, a little shaken but okay. Sent a "thank you for dinner" e-mail along with some pictures of the kittens...and I never heard from him again, which was a load off my mind.
Hm...wonder if he got pulled over on the way home and mouthed off to the cop?
Because I live to complicate things I had been talking to two guys named Matt-Matt L. and Matt S. This is the story of Matt S. I only mention Matt L. because it made for a nifty title.
Matt S. looked good on paper (don't they all?): Big guy, shaved head, quirky sense of humor, likes animals and worked in IT. We shot some e-mails back and forth and progressed to talking on the phone. One nice thing about the eharmony guys was that they tended not to e-mail pictures of their privates or bring up sex on the first phone call...C-L-A-S-S-Y!
So, he was nice to talk to and we seemed to have lots to talk about. My super power of once again making people soooo comfortable they can tell me anything kicked in again. Matt had a nonverbal learning disability. My research says it's a little like asperger's syndrome, in that they don't pick up on nonverbal cues and, in Matt's case, if you startle them it turns right from fright to anger. So no sneaking up and yelling boo. Matt had also recently lost his IT job and was now working at the family business. Again, not a biggie, but also not a surprise.
We made a date for dinner at a little Irish pub. Of course it was raining that day, so much for doing my hair (not that it ever really does much). As I pulled into the lot I saw the tall, bald man standing by the front door. Yup, that was Matt. Looked just like his picture. He gave me a hug as we walked in and sat down for a nice dinner.
He was telling me that he'd worked in law enforcement before and wanted to get back to it, preferably something like being a parole officer. He liked the idea of rehabilitation. I made the mistake of asking what he'd done before...and he said he didn't want to talk about it. This did not bode well. But soon enough my other super power kicked in and he revealed he had worked as a forest ranger. Of course I asked where...he didn't want to talk about it. What happened? He didn't want to talk about it...but did.
This is when I learned he had one of those qualities I can't stand: The "It's not my fault" syndrome. Once, twice, yeah I'll believe it, but all the time? Nobody is that oppressed. So of course his being fired was political...couldn't have anything to do with his attitude or throwing things at his boss. Same basic scenario for why he wasn't in IT anymore. And then there was yelling at the judge in traffic court. Suddenly I'm thinking "Please don't startle, you'll put me through a wall!"
At one point we got talking about cars and I mentioned my odd fear of going over a bridge and not being able to get out of my car, so I don't have electric doors or windows. He laughed and the conversation went on. He'd had a beer and mentioned he should stop because he couldn't afford to get anymore points on his license. Oh that's a winning comment. We talked about how he wanted 2 kittens and how a friend of mine had two beautiful ones she was looking for a home for. I said I'd send him pictures.
Once dessert was through he walked me to my car and we stood there talking for a bit, then suddenly he thundered, "Open it!" Okay, I admit it, I panicked. I hurriedly unlocked my door wondering what the hell was going on. He wanted to open the door for me, to be a gentleman. Okay, any guys reading this? NEVER do that! I was ready to claw his eyes out, and whatever else I could make contact with. He then hugged me OVER the car door. Like I said, dude was big.
I headed home, a little shaken but okay. Sent a "thank you for dinner" e-mail along with some pictures of the kittens...and I never heard from him again, which was a load off my mind.
Hm...wonder if he got pulled over on the way home and mouthed off to the cop?

2 Comments:
i have a question: have you other thought of just waiting to meet the right guy , i mean being with someone who see i know that you wann be with them? Dont you want it to be real not over the computer?
Again, having a wee bit of trouble understanding your question. But if I'm guessing correctly, then the answer is of course I want to meet the right guy, but unless I date how can I expect to meet him? And the whole going out on a date thing makes the person "real" not just words on the page, so I'm not sure what your point is. A little advice: Punctuation, spell check and grammar.
Post a Comment
<< Home