Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Members Only

A while back I had a personal on Match.com. I got a lot of weird responses and decided to cancel my subscription. I forgot to delete my profile...

Out of the blue I got a notice saying someone had sent me a message. His name was Lou and he was actually interested in philosophy...though he started with Ayn Rand. Not my choice, as I feel she was a shrew and a hack, but that's just my opinion. So I sent him a note back and we eventually spoke on the phone.

Lou was Italian, an elevator engineer and to be honest there wasn't much more to him. But I was in a dating lull so when he suggested we meet and go to this philosophical discussion group I said okay. I should mention I'm an avid philosophy reader, and he was just starting to poke around the subject.

Well, the day of the meeting came and I...well, I just didn't want to go. I called him as left a message on both his home a cell phones, but apparently he didn't get them. When we connected again I apologized and now felt obligated to meet him. So we decided on dinner at a Thai fusion restaurant in Doylestown and then perhaps a trip to a comedy club after.

I found my way to the restaurant, sat and waited for a while then agreed to let the owner seat me. He came back about 15 minutes later and asked if I was dining alone and I couldn't help it, I said hopefully. But alas it was not to be. Lou arrived half an hour late looking about 10 years older than his photo and wearing what appeared to be a Members Only jacket. Oh baby.

At first we were the only people in our section. Conversation was forced and very one track. It seems since I had an interest in philosophy he decided to have one too and basically refused to talk about anything else. Sadly, he didn't get some of the names right, not to mention the ideas, so I was looking for another topic. He decided to do an impression of his Korean bosses, and by impression I mean using his hands to narrow his eyes. We'd discussed before how I didn't appreciate that sort of thing (he's mean about it). He sulked when I asked him to knock it off. Ah well.

Aside from the food on his chin and the dribble down his shirt we survived dinner, but I really wanted the evening to end. I tried, but I really didn't have anything to say. I'd run out of questions to ask and he seemed not to have any so the rest of dinner was just uncomfortable, with him occasionally complaining about the food.

At some point another couple was seated next to us. She was from the States and he seemed to be from the UK. Since the tables were close together I couldn't help but over hear their conversation-and want to move. I resisted. The girl was parallel to my seat, the guy at a slight diagonal, so he saw my eyes roll when Lou commented on the "impressionist painting" by our table. I looked up, sighed, and told him it was a sepia tone photo of old Doylestown.

We had some time before the show so he suggested a walk. We ended up in a bookstore where I tried to get lost but had little success. I did get a book though, so not a total loss. The comedy club? Yeah, never made it. There is only so much I can take.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle said...

why didnt you just break down to him.. i mean he doesnt take any signs?

2:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Okay...was I supposed to start crying or was that meant to read "break it down to him"?

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home