You Know It's Over When...
So my days on e-Harmony did snag me another dating story. It actually came from the end of 4 months or so of dating. I call it "Laundry Pants: Or How You Know Things Have Hit Their Peak".
As I've mentioned before, e-Harm yielded few stories and one guy who I saw for a bit. T. was a nice guy, but in the end not for me. The day that this was driven home to my already debating brain began as a normal Saturday.
I drove up to Bethlehem to have lunch with T. When I got there he had been doing laundry. I knew this because he was wearing what he called his laundry pants: Old jeans with a hole in the butt and crotch. Now, I fully support laundry day clothes. Everything else is in the wash so you are left with items you wouldn't normally go out in public wearing. We've all done it. But if you're girlfriend or boyfriend was coming over wouldn't you change?
I assumed the laundry wasn't done, but I was incorrect. He was just content to stay in the pants. Perhaps it wouldn't have caught me as so odd if we hadn't planned on going out for lunch. I asked if he was going to change, he saw no reason so I offered the whole, well your butt and bits are sort of ventilated argument which didn't phase him. So off we went, me slightly embarrassed as I clearly saw his BVDs going down the steps.
On the way to the restaurant we stopped so he could get cash (this will be important later). We went to a little brew pub in town that had good food and he took along his dad's empty growler for a refill of the pubs micro brew. I suppressed a laugh when T. slid onto the damp vinyl seat of the booth and yelped as the seat came in contact with his flesh. We started looking over the menu and he told me to order what I liked. Interesting and a bit old fashioned, but I took this to mean he was picking up the check, which was nice since we usually went dutch or I got it.
So lunch was ordered, he went for an appetizer before the main course as well as filling up dad's bottle and I got something simple (no, I didn't order the lobster!) and we enjoyed a nice meal. The check came and he put down half of the bill...and I sat there in stunned silence. I finally say I guessed he needed me to put down the rest, which he affirmed. I couldn't help but ask why he told me to order what I liked since it seemed I would be paying for it anyhow. He didn't have an answer to that one. So I ended up paying for part of his meal and his dad's beer along with my salad and on the silent ride home I realized that I was no longer on the fence about ending the relationship.
I decided that wanting to be with someone who picks up the check now and then as well as wearing pants that aren't an experiment in show and tell wasn't asking too much. I truly believe that it is the little things that mean the most and I don't consider making an effort to look neat when going out to a nice meal is too large a request. Call me silly.
As I've mentioned before, e-Harm yielded few stories and one guy who I saw for a bit. T. was a nice guy, but in the end not for me. The day that this was driven home to my already debating brain began as a normal Saturday.
I drove up to Bethlehem to have lunch with T. When I got there he had been doing laundry. I knew this because he was wearing what he called his laundry pants: Old jeans with a hole in the butt and crotch. Now, I fully support laundry day clothes. Everything else is in the wash so you are left with items you wouldn't normally go out in public wearing. We've all done it. But if you're girlfriend or boyfriend was coming over wouldn't you change?
I assumed the laundry wasn't done, but I was incorrect. He was just content to stay in the pants. Perhaps it wouldn't have caught me as so odd if we hadn't planned on going out for lunch. I asked if he was going to change, he saw no reason so I offered the whole, well your butt and bits are sort of ventilated argument which didn't phase him. So off we went, me slightly embarrassed as I clearly saw his BVDs going down the steps.
On the way to the restaurant we stopped so he could get cash (this will be important later). We went to a little brew pub in town that had good food and he took along his dad's empty growler for a refill of the pubs micro brew. I suppressed a laugh when T. slid onto the damp vinyl seat of the booth and yelped as the seat came in contact with his flesh. We started looking over the menu and he told me to order what I liked. Interesting and a bit old fashioned, but I took this to mean he was picking up the check, which was nice since we usually went dutch or I got it.
So lunch was ordered, he went for an appetizer before the main course as well as filling up dad's bottle and I got something simple (no, I didn't order the lobster!) and we enjoyed a nice meal. The check came and he put down half of the bill...and I sat there in stunned silence. I finally say I guessed he needed me to put down the rest, which he affirmed. I couldn't help but ask why he told me to order what I liked since it seemed I would be paying for it anyhow. He didn't have an answer to that one. So I ended up paying for part of his meal and his dad's beer along with my salad and on the silent ride home I realized that I was no longer on the fence about ending the relationship.
I decided that wanting to be with someone who picks up the check now and then as well as wearing pants that aren't an experiment in show and tell wasn't asking too much. I truly believe that it is the little things that mean the most and I don't consider making an effort to look neat when going out to a nice meal is too large a request. Call me silly.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home