Monday, September 11, 2006

All I want for Christmas is my 2 front Teeth!

Somewhere around last Christmas Drummer Boy entered my dating life. How appropriate for the holiday! He was once a drummer in a "hair band" and very proud of it. Now he worked for Ikea in the graphics department. He had a 13 year old daughter and had recently separated from his wife...but they still shared a car...that was in the shop. He was currently living in a friend's basement.

He seemed nice enough, rather funny and easy to talk to. He was a bit over zealous on the whole calling thing, but that isn't always bad. We talked a lot and finally decided to meet for lunch one Saturday. It was raining, of course, and I left early to pick up a birthday present for a friend's little one-the party was that afternoon (yes, it meant I had an escape plan for lunch).

As I was wandering the toy store isles my phone rang. It was the drummer. He was at the restaurant 1/2 and hour early and just wanted to let me know. He'd walked in the rain. I told him I expected to be there on time. Well, it turns out I didn't know where I was going as well as I thought I did so I ended up being 1/2 an hour late. Not a great first impression. But then, he didn't exactly get dressed up for our rendezvous at Applebee’s, so once I saw the sweatpants I decided not to feel too bad about being late (yes, I called and let him know).

As we sat and talked...okay as he talked and I nodded, inserting appropriate affirmative or negative noises, I was mesmerized by his teeth...or lack there of as the case may be. I will be the first one to tell you mine aren't perfect, I have a funky crooked one up front and fillings in the back. But they are all present and accounted for. Yes, my mom and dad had teeth pulled, I've had friends with teeth pulled, but if they were in the front of their mouth they got an implant! I'm sorry, but if you make $100,000 a year and work at a job with a dental plan-which I know they do-then there is no reason you should be wandering around missing one of your top front teeth.

So between the not getting a word in edge-wise, his not being divorced, the weird car thing and the tooth I was pretty happy I had a birthday party to attend. We said our goodbyes, and I bolted for the door leaving him to walk home in the rain. Yes, it would have been nice of me to offer him a ride...but I just didn't have the will power to nod and drive.

Pah rum pah pum pum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home